Fried rice is a classic dish in many Asian countries and has also become a staple in Western cuisine. It is an adaptable dish that can be made with various ingredients and is a great way to use leftovers.
Fried rice is a popular dish enjoyed in China and other parts of Asia for centuries. In China, fried rice is traditionally made by stir-frying cooked rice with vegetables, eggs, meat, seafood, soy sauce, and other seasonings. The dish can be made with lots of ingredients, depending on the region and preferences.
Fried rice spread to other parts of Asia, including Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia, where it evolved to include a wide range of flavors and ingredients. In Japan, for example, fried rice is often made with ham, green peas, and scrambled eggs. In Thailand, fried rice is often made with shrimp, pineapple, and cashews.
In the United States, fried rice became popular in the mid-20th century as part of the growing interest in Chinese cuisine. Today, fried rice is a popular dish worldwide and is often served as a side dish or a main course. It can be made with various ingredients, from vegetables and tofu to chicken, pork, and shrimp. It remains a comforting and satisfying dish that people of all ages enjoy.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2-3 eggs beaten
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat one tablespoon of your favorite oil in a largly-sized skillet over medium-high heat on the stovetop. Add beaten eggs and scramble until cooked. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the skillet and add the onions and carrots. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook on medium heat for one minute.
- Add the rice and stir to combine with the vegetables.
- Stir in the peas and cooked eggs.
- Add the soy sauce and oyster sauce (if used) and combine. Cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!
There are many variations of fried rice, and you can customize it to your preferred taste by adding different proteins such as chicken, shrimp, or tofu. You can add vegetables such as bell peppers, broccoli, or mushrooms. Fried rice is a great side dish to make and store in the refrigerator for a quick and easy meal later. It is also a great way to use leftover rice and vegetables from previous meals. Give it a try, and enjoy!
Get the latest recipes, reviews, & more!
Join our TOP FOOD priority list to keep up with the latest news, recipes, reviews & more! Get Inspired & be inspiring.