A breakfast burrito is a delicious way to start your morning. The tortilla is a pre-packaged, homogenous flatbread used in Mexican cooking to cook, wrap, and serve food. There are many types of tortillas, including corn, wheat, and potato. They’re used to making everything from traditional Mexican to, of course, Tex-Mex food.
What’s A Big Breakfast?
Breakfast burritos are just what you might think they are—they’re just as delicious as regular burritos and often served for breakfast. Our popular Taco Tuesday Breakfast Burrito features fresh scrambled eggs, sauteed potatoes, bacon, and black beans and bursts with flavor. Plus, it’s filled with ingredients that taste even better after breakfast!
A Mexican wedding is usually a big party that includes a feast, music, dancing, and lots of delicious food. For a Mexican wedding, though, the main dish is often a Mexican wedding burrito. This colorful culinary masterpiece is made with a flour tortilla filled with refried beans, lettuce, diced tomato, cheese, salsa, and sour cream.
How To Make Homemade Breakfast Burritos
A breakfast burrito is made up of scrambled eggs, cheese, salsa, black beans, and, depending on where you go, green peppers, onions, and (or) bacon. If you don’t like eggs, you can substitute sausage or ground beef.
There are tons of other ways to fill a breakfast burrito, depending on what’s in season in your area. One of my favorite places for breakfast burritos is in Maine; The Blue Goat Bistro. They offer one that’s filled with croissant dough, then rolled and served with scrambled eggs, bacon, and chipotle crema.
They also serve breakfast burritos with potatoes, potatoes, and potatoes. Still, I’ve yet to figure out how to get it to stay together on the ride home.
Are Breakfast Burritos Healthy?
I would not consider burritos for breakfast as they can contain loads of calories. The breading often used on the filling will also pack on the calories. In contrast to the tortilla, a sopapilla is a small, triangular sugar-covered confection that is used to top a variety of Mexican dishes. Mole, or chapulines de azucar (chickens fat and sugar), is a famous Mexican sauce made from different types of chilies, spices, and dried chili pods. All these ingredients are commonly placed in burritos.
Breakfast Burrito Recipe
- 8 flour tortillas
- ¼ lb button mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream divided
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 oz ham steak cubed
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tomato diced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- In a bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp of sour cream, eggs, salt, and paper. Then stir in cubes of ham and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add oil, dump sliced mushrooms and sauté until golden. Stir occasionally and season with salt and pepper. Remove mushrooms.
- In the same skillet, melt butter and add egg mixture. Stir for 3 minutes until eggs are cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Prepare burritos by spreading 1 tbsp of sour cream into the center of a tortilla. Add in eggs, cheese, tomatoes, and mushrooms, Roll the burrito while keeping it tucked and tight.
- Place burrito on skillet with oil. Cook all sides until the tortilla is golden brown.
Get the latest recipes, reviews, & more!
Join our TOP FOOD priority list to keep up with the latest news, recipes, reviews & more! Get Inspired & be inspiring.