The Orange Creamsicle Cake is a modern dessert that is inspired by the classic orange creamsicle ice cream treat. Many food connoisseurs say the cake originated from creative bakers and home cooks who wanted to recreate the nostalgic flavor of the childhood treat in a cake form.
One theory is that the cake was inspired by the popular Creamsicle ice cream bar, invented in the 1920s by an American candy maker named Frank Epperson. The Creamsicle consisted of a vanilla ice cream center covered in a layer of frozen orange-flavored ice. The combination of creamy vanilla and tangy orange flavors was a hit with both kids and adults.
To create the Orange Creamsicle Cake, bakers, and cooks likely began experimenting with different cake recipes and frosting combinations, seeking to capture the unique flavor profile of the Creamsicle. The cake typically features a vanilla cake base infused with orange zest or orange extract, and it is layered with a creamy frosting made with cream cheese, whipped cream, and orange juice or zest.
Today, the Orange Creamsicle Cake remains a popular dessert for casual and formal occasions. It is often decorated with orange slices or zest and served chilled for a refreshing and delicious treat.
Orange Creamsicle Cake Recipe
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup orange soda
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Orange food coloring optional
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Combine the white cake mix, orange soda, vegetable oil, eggs, orange zest, vanilla extract, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- Grease two 9-inch cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two large cake pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes or use the toothpick method to check the center.
- Remove cakes from the oven and let them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Combine the unsalted butter, powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla extract in a dry mixing bowl. Mix until well combined and smooth.
- If desired, add a few drops of orange food coloring to give the frosting an orange hue.
- Place one of the cooled cakes on a cake plate or platter.
- Spread a even layer of frosting over the top of the cake using a spatula or icing knife.
- Place the second cake on top of the frosting layer.
- Add the frosting to the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting.
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 25 minutes to allow the frosting to set.
- Slice and serve!
This Orange Creamsicle Cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion. The moist orange cake and creamy vanilla frosting are a match made in heaven. Whether you’re making this cake for a birthday, holiday, or just because, it will surely be loved by everyone.
Get the latest recipes, reviews, & more!
Join our TOP FOOD priority list to keep up with the latest news, recipes, reviews & more! Get Inspired & be inspiring.