Many are quick to find plenty of Mac N Cheese recipes on the internet. While you may have plenty of options, our homemade mac and cheese recipe is an all time favorite. Every time my kids’ friends come over, they love to have this recipe! Read about what makes a Mac and Cheese great.
The Best Cheeses to Use for Mac and Cheese
It’s been a while since we last asked you to guess the most popular cheese used in mac and cheese recipes, so here we go: the best guess is the parmesan, and the worst guess is the cheddar. You can’t go wrong with either one. Other flavors are to be expected to enter the mix.
The best type of cheese for mac and cheese is a combination of a few basic kinds of cheese. The delicate nature of the cheese compliments the delicate nature of the mac and cheese itself. The ingredients I use are:
- Pepper Jack
- Worcestershire sauce
- Shredded cheeses like Muenster and Colby
- Chopped onion
- Caramelized onions
- Bacon bits
Gordon Ramsay’s 3 Step Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 30 gm Cheddar cheese
- 40 gm Large cubes of Bacon
- 3 Tbls of Olive oil
- 30 gm White bread cubes
- 12 Tbls of Chicken stock
- 6 Tbls of butter
- 1 Tbls of Lemon juice
- 2 Pounds of uncooked small pasta shapes
- 1 package of Uncooked frozen white bread cubes
You will start by preheating your oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Then place your bread cubes on a tray and drizzle the olive oil over them. Then put the bread cubes in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. If your bread cubes are not quite soft yet, you can leave them in the oven, or you can also bake them briefly in the microwave for 15 seconds to make them easier to chew. In another pan, fry the pieces of bacon in olive oil until they get crispy.
Jamie Oliver’s Macaroni And Cheese
Jamie Oliver’s recipe is very similar to Ramsay’s. It involves a roux-less mac and cheese sauce. And you don’t have to buy the pricey jars from Jamie’s Italian. All you need is cream of mushroom soup, which is the base of the dish. Then you just add bread crumbs, parmesan, bacon, herbs, and seasoning. You have to boil the cream of mushroom soup in a separate pot. You can even pour it on the roux if you want to make it fancy.
Chef Michelle Bernstein’s Macaroni And Cheese
Like Jamie’s recipe, Michelle Bernstein’s is relatively straightforward. You add heavy cream, the right kind of cheese, butter, milk, and seasoning. But, once you do that, you have to wait for it to melt. You have to bring the cream and cheeses to a simmer before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 1 lb elbow pasta
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups half and half
- 4 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 2 cups Gruyere cheese grated
- ¾ tbsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 325°F and light grease a baking dish. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot to a boil. Add salt, when boiling, add dried pasta and cook for 15 minutes.
- Grate cheeses and mix them. Divide them into 3 piles. 3 cups will be used for the sauce. The rest will be used on top.
- Drain pasta and pour a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Add in half and half, whisk until smooth.
- Whisk until thick consistency. Remove from heat and stir in salt, black pepper, and paprika. Add in cheeses slowly, until the mixture is melted and smoothed.
- In the macaroni pot or a large bowl, combine drained pasta with the sauce. Stir until it's fully combined. Sprinkle the top with more cheese and bake in oven for 15 minutes.
Get the latest recipes, reviews, & more!
Join our TOP FOOD priority list to keep up with the latest news, recipes, reviews & more! Get Inspired & be inspiring.