A French toast recipe without using milk is rising in popularity for foodies. Excluding milk from this recipe might change how it tastes, but dairy-free enthusiasts love this flavor! Not only is this recipe easy to make, but it’s the perfect way to get that golden brown look on your toast.
We recommend pairing the dairy-free French toast with a variety of fruits. Namely, some fresh strawberries would add a delightful touch to this recipe. In most French toast recipes, sugar is added to provide a sweet flavor. Though it’s optional for those looking for a healthier meal, many love the added sugar!
Why Is Milk Used In French Toast?
Adding milk to French toast is a great way to add tenderness and richness. When you combine eggs and milk in the perfect ratio, you create a custard base on the toast. If you fail to put the right ratio, your French toast will likely turn undercooked.
How to Make French Toast Without Milk
Making French toast without milk is not as hard as you think! If you are lactose-intolerant, dairy-free, or vegan, this recipe is perfect for you. Almond milk is a good alternative for those looking for a sweet taste. You may need to adjust some ingredients in this recipe if you are looking for a vegan French toast.
French Toast Recipe Tips
They key to making a great French toast is picking the right bread. I personally recommend using Brioche bread, but many gluten-free bread slices work great. Be sure to remember that the thicker the bread slice, the longer you will need to soak it in egg mixture. Read the following tips to making the perfect dairy-free French Toast below.
- Prevent over-soaking the bread slice
- Do not overcrowd the pan, give it space
- Heat pan before placing bread slices
- Experiment with dairy-free milks
French Toast Without Milk Recipe
- 4 slices thick white bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Sliced Banana
- Whisk the eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, and ground nutmeg in a mixing bowl.
- Dip both sides of bread into the egg mixture and let it absorb, use a fork to prick each slice.
- Lightly butter a pan and heat over medium heat until it's hot.
- Place bread slices on heated pan for 3-4 minutes each. Flip and brown the opposite side for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with optional toppings or maple syrup.
Get the latest recipes, reviews, & more!
Join our TOP FOOD priority list to keep up with the latest news, recipes, reviews & more! Get Inspired & be inspiring.