Stuffed peppers have been popular for centuries in Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and Latin American cuisine. The origin of quinoa stuffed bell peppers specifically is not clear, but the dish was likely created as a healthy and flavorful vegetarian option.
Quinoa, a grain-like crop originating from the Andean region of South America, has been cultivated for over 5,000 years and was a staple food for the Inca civilization. Quinoa has gained popularity worldwide as a healthy and versatile ingredient in recent years.
On the other hand, Bell peppers were born in Mexico, Central America, and other regions and were introduced to Europe by Spanish and Portuguese explorers in the 16th century. Today, they are grown in many parts of the world and are a popular ingredient in a variety of dishes.
Combining quinoa and bell peppers in a stuffed dish is a modern take on traditional stuffed peppers. Quinoa provides a protein-rich and gluten-free filling, while the bell peppers add a flavorful and colorful exterior. The dish can be customized with various herbs, spices, and vegetables, making it a versatile and healthy option for vegetarians and meat-eaters.
Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 large bell peppers tops removed and seeded
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a saucepan, combine the quinoa and vegetable broth. Bring to a quick boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked thouroughly and the broth has been absorbed.
- In a large skillet, heat your favorite olive oil over medium heat level. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, which should take about 5 minutes.
- Add the skillet's black beans, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt. Stir to combine and cook for another 5 minutes or until heated.
- Remove the hot skillet from the heat and stir in the cooked quinoa.
- Stuff the bell peppers with the quinoa and black bean mixture and place them in a baking sheet. Cover the dish or sheet with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the foil, sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the stuffed peppers, and bake for another 10 minutes until the cheese is fully melted and bubbly.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!
Get the latest recipes, reviews, & more!
Join our TOP FOOD priority list to keep up with the latest news, recipes, reviews & more! Get Inspired & be inspiring.