This Gingerbread recipe is old-fashioned and perfect for the family during Christmas time. The raw mixture is a batter rather than a thick cake mix. The cake is beautifully sticky but light in texture and not too dense.
The headline of this blog is telling – ‘Gingerbread Mary Berry’ – it’s an ideal title for the old-fashioned cake – and I’ve referred to her a lot in my blog. Mary Berry and I go way back, where we were friends through a local Women’s Institute. We helped with dinners in the village hall, but the leadership roles we both took eventually led to becoming the WI’s president. One of the first women to sit on the WI council, and finally the first WI president in Britain to be appointed to the House of Lords.
How To Make Mary Berry’s Gingerbread
To Marry Berry your gingerbread:
- Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
- Butter and flour two baking sheets.
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl, and sieve in the icing sugar, ginger, and lemon zest.
- Stir in the egg yolks 1 by 1 and gradually incorporate the water.
- Knead the mixture until smooth.
- Make three balls of dough – this will be your base for your Mary Berry, or you can do a slightly bigger base to start.
- Roll each ball out on a floured surface, using a pastry cutter or hands, until it’s the size you like.
- Pop your base onto the baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- When cool, spread your Mary Berry with icing sugar and dust with icing sugar.
What’s The Difference Between Gingerbread And Ginger Cake?
Yes, ginger cake and gingerbread are very different. Gingerbread is brown bread or muffin. When I was young, I loved it, but I preferred this to the brown version. Ginger cake is known to have a variety of ingredients while gingerbread is specified.
This recipe uses both ground ginger and wholemeal flour for solid flavors. It’s also spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice and studded with candied peel.
Should Gingerbread Be Hard Or Soft?
Gingerbread foods vary from soft, moist loaf cake to something close to a ginger snap. Gingerbread belongs to a broad category of baked goods, typically flavored with cloves, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and sweetened with honey, sugar, or molasses.
The Gingerbread Sandwich Cookie
A gingerbread sandwich is a baked good made with two pieces of bread topped with a frosted cross-section of a gingerbread house. A slice of cheese is often an essential part of the sandwich. The classic British-style gingerbread is topped with a chocolate cake, marshmallow, and candy canes.
A gingerbread sandwich is a baked good made with two pieces of bread topped with a frosted cross-section of a gingerbread house. A slice of cheese is often an essential part of the sandwich.
The History of Gingerbread
No. The spice comes from gingerroot, a root vegetable with a tangy, bitter flavor. The spice — often used in savory applications — is also grown for ginger ale and ginger beer. Gingerbread dates back to early written records. Chinese emperors were making gingerbread and tea into sweets for ceremonial occasions as early as the sixth century B.C.
Although gingerbread is a sweet baked good with added spices, it is an excellent alternative to raisins or any other ingredient that doesn’t taste good in a cookie. The traditional flavor combination of ginger and sugar is something that can’t be beaten. Traditional gingerbread is best served during Christmas time.
- 2 cups all-pupose flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup molasses
- ¾ cup butter melted
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 2½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a baking dish, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt and flour. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together melted butter, sugar, and molasses. Add in egg, vanilla extract, and applesauce. Beat until well combined.
- Add flour mixture, while adding in milk and vegetable oil. Pour the batter into baking dish.
- Bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven. Check with a toothpick for wetness.
Get the latest recipes, reviews, & more!
Join our TOP FOOD priority list to keep up with the latest news, recipes, reviews & more! Get Inspired & be inspiring.