Try this delicious chicken and vegetable soup if you’re looking for a hearty and healthy soup. It’s easy to make and packed with nutritious ingredients that will satisfy and nourish you.
Chicken and vegetable soup is a classic dish enjoyed for generations in many different cultures. The origins of chicken and vegetable soup need to be clarified, but the dish has likely evolved as a way to use up leftover chicken and vegetables.
Chicken soup has a long history, with evidence of its consumption dating back to ancient Greece and Rome. In many cultures, chicken soup is believed to have healing properties and is often recommended as a remedy for colds and other ailments.
Adding vegetables to chicken soup is a natural way to add flavor and nutrition to the dish. In traditional European cuisine, root vegetables such as carrots, onions, and potatoes are often used, while in Asian cuisine, bok choy, mushrooms, and other vegetables may be used.
Today, chicken and vegetable soup remains a popular dish worldwide, enjoyed for its comforting and nourishing qualities. The dish can be customized with various herbs, spices, and vegetables to suit individual tastes and preferences.
Chicken and Vegetable Soup
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat your favorite olive oil over medium heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and sauté until the vegetables are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth, thyme, oregano, and bay leaf, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the kale and chickpeas, and let simmer for another 5-7 minutes until the kale is wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!
Get the latest recipes, reviews, & more!
Join our TOP FOOD priority list to keep up with the latest news, recipes, reviews & more! Get Inspired & be inspiring.