If you want a comforting and satisfying meal, beef stew is perfect. This classic dish contains tender chunks of beef, root vegetables, and a savory broth. Here’s how to make your delicious beef stew:
Beef stew is a hearty, comforting dish that people worldwide have enjoyed for centuries. The origins of beef stew can be traced back to medieval Europe, where it was a popular dish among peasants and working-class people.
In those days, beef was a luxury ingredient not often consumed by the lower classes. However, by cooking tough cuts of beef in a stew with vegetables and other ingredients, they created a flavorful and filling meal that could feed a large family or group of people.
Over time, beef stew evolved and became popular in many different cultures and cuisines worldwide. In the United States, beef stew is often associated with the Midwest, where it is a popular comfort food during the cold winter months. In France, beef stew is known as “boeuf bourguignon,” made with red wine, bacon, and mushrooms.
Beef stew typically consists of large chunks of beef, such as chuck or brisket, browned in a pot with onions and other aromatics before being simmered in a flavorful broth or stock with vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, and celery. The dish is often seasoned with herbs and spices such as thyme, bay leaves, and black pepper and maybe thickened with flour or other thickeners to create a rich, hearty sauce.
Today, beef stew is a comforting and satisfying meal that is perfect for cold weather, or anytime you want a filling, nourishing dish. It is often served with crusty bread or biscuits to soak up the flavorful broth.
How to Make a Hearty Beef Stew
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 large potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a pot or Dutch oven. Add the beef stew meat and lightly brown on all sides, about 5-7 minutes. Remove the meat and set aside.
- Add the diced onions and minced garlic to the hot pot and cook until the onions are translucent, should be about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped carrots, celery, and potatoes and cook for 5-7 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the beef broth, canned tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, thyme, and rosemary. Stir to combine.
- Return the beef to the pot and bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and let the stew simmer for 2-3 hours until the beef is tender.
- Remove the bay leaves and season the stew with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the beef stew hot with crusty bread or over rice.
With this recipe, you can make a hearty and delicious beef stew that’s perfect for a cozy night in or a family gathering. Try it and enjoy the warmth and comfort that only a good stew can bring!
Get the latest recipes, reviews, & more!
Join our TOP FOOD priority list to keep up with the latest news, recipes, reviews & more! Get Inspired & be inspiring.